A Free forum to discuss anything and everything about your travels, hotels, airlines, tips, latest travel deals, sports tours or group tours. If you have a passion and enjoy talking about your travels, please share!

*THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER IN USE - NEW WEBSITE AT www.travelbounty.com*

*THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER IN USE - NEW WEBSITE AT www.travelbounty.com*

Upcoming Holiday in NZ

godoubleblues

Upcoming Holiday in NZ

Post by godoubleblues on Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:08 am

I am off to NZ on 18 sep, fly into Wellington for the Bledisloe Cup then spending another 2 weeks there, 1 week on South Island touring in a hire car then 1 week on North Island in a campervan, if anyone has any tips feel free to leave here.
    I will report in and let everyone know how it went.

bart

Re: Upcoming Holiday in NZ

Post by bart on Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:17 am

godoubleblues wrote:I am off to NZ on 18 sep, fly into Wellington for the Bledisloe Cup then spending another 2 weeks there, 1 week on South Island touring in a hire car then 1 week on North Island in a campervan, if anyone has any tips feel free to leave here.
    Lucky you, the Bledisloe cup! went to NZ June last year, flew and stayed in Christchurch. Hired a car and drove around the South Island a bit. We drove up to Hamner Springs (few hours drive north of Christchurch), which is a outdoor hot springs pools, it was in the middle of winter and snowing and we were in our bathers outside in the pools, what an experience, a must do and a good little town/village too its located in. The drive was spectacular, being middle of winter and snow capped mountains, dont know about September, there may still be snow, either way the countryside is amazing. Did a Jetboat also near there!

Also drove south of Christchurch to a place called Akaroa (Banks Peninsula), again the countryside is breathtaking and one of the best i have visited, the views driving on top of the mountain overlooking little villages and lakes is great! Akaroa was on a lake and nice restaurants next to the water.
    I have many many pictures of the trip and you will love it, definitly go back there and drive around more of NZ
    Keep us updated on here, love to hear about it

godoubleblues

Post by godoubleblues on Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:27 am

bart wrote:
    godoubleblues wrote:I am off to NZ on 18 sep, fly into Wellington for the Bledisloe Cup then spending another 2 weeks there, 1 week on South Island touring in a hire car then 1 week on North Island in a campervan, if anyone has any tips feel free to leave here.
    Lucky you, the Bledisloe cup! went to NZ June last year, flew and stayed in Christchurch. Hired a car and drove around the South Island a bit. We drove up to Hamner Springs (few hours drive north of Christchurch), which is a outdoor hot springs pools, it was in the middle of winter and snowing and we were in our bathers outside in the pools, what an experience, a must do and a good little town/village too its located in. The drive was spectacular, being middle of winter and snow capped mountains, dont know about September, there may still be snow, either way the countryside is amazing. Did a Jetboat also near there!

Also drove south of Christchurch to a place called Akaroa (Banks Peninsula), again the countryside is breathtaking and one of the best i have visited, the views driving on top of the mountain overlooking little villages and lakes is great! Akaroa was on a lake and nice restaurants next to the water.
    I have many many pictures of the trip and you will love it, definitly go back there and drive around more of NZ
    Keep us updated on here, love to hear about it

cheers for that, I have been to the Bledisloe the last 2 years, both times in Auckland but it was only for the weekend, this time decided to stay longer and get the missus over
    really looking forward to it

squawk

Post by squawk on Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:23 pm

GDB - would definitely recommend the train from Christchurch to Greymouth. I know you have hired a car but it is a half day each way and you can go one way so you may be able to sneak it in.
    Also, Lake Tekapo is a must see.
    Loved Wanaka on the way to Queenstown. Look out for the famous Bra fence and pub between Greymouth and Queenstown.
    Preferred Doubtful Sound to Milford Sound (did both).
    Not much on the east side of the South Island though.
    Christchurch is great - it was designed by Colonel Light and has a tram, a market and an Antarctic Centre to visit.
    Went to Fox Glacier - did the walk up it and it was well worth the effort!

bart

Post by bart on Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:30 am

I dont know if you have booked your car hire etc, but checkout this site, cheap car/campervan rentals :

http://www.standbyrelocs.com/default.aspx?c=2

Also, i have been to Christchurch too, took the tram ride around the city, a nice art musuem there, also antartctic centre i did and stood in the room that simulates like your on the South Pole, my nose was dripping and drips started to freeze! Smile

Also did the gondala up for a view over the city, definitly recommend that!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:39 pm