www.travelbountyforum.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Free forum to discuss anything and everything about your travels, hotels, airlines, tips, latest travel deals, sports tours or group tours. If you have a passion and enjoy talking about your travels, please share!

*THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER IN USE - NEW WEBSITE AT www.travelbounty.com*

*THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER IN USE - NEW WEBSITE AT www.travelbounty.com*

3 posters

Scotland Country

bart

Scotland Country Empty Scotland Country

Post by bart Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:44 pm

Driving along the coast of Scotland, what is it like?
    JAS

Scotland Country Empty Re: Scotland Country

Post by JAS Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:55 pm

Hi Bart

Following the coastal roads is a great way to see Scotland. There is quite a contrast between us over here on the East coast where it's mostly sweeping sandy beaches with a few cliffs and the West coast which is much more rugged and rocky.

Don't be in a hurry though as you'll have to put up with winding, meandering roads and lanes and, if you want to taken in some real unspoilt parts, dirt tracks. You'll also have to beware of four legged road users too...not unsual to go round a bend and meet a cow or sheep in the road. There is no highway that goes round the coast...what we call an A road is the best you'll find...that's two lanes of traffic, one in each direction...incase you call them something else.

I'd strongly recomend buying a good road map and don't for god sake put all your faith into a sat nav...this idiot lived to regret it...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/8259800.stm

A trip around the coast will take longer than you expect as there are loads of sea lochs to get around, especially on the West coast, but there's no shortage of little towns and villages en route and almost all of them will have some sort of accomodation available. The main thing to plan for is possibley fuel...I think in some places it can be a long way between garages...but it's nothing a bit of forethought can't take care of and the locals are pretty friendly and happy to help...they won't hold back from telling you what an idiot you are to run out though Laughing

Fire away if you got any questions.

Regards
    JAS
    penny

Post by penny Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:14 pm

I have driven around Scotland, must say it was fantastic, did a few road trips around Scotland, drove from Edinburgh then out towards the north east along the coast, i cant remember the village we stopped at, but it was on the coast and pubs and fish n chips, small little village, very scottish! loved it!
    Also drove from Edinburgh up through the middle of the country, then drove around lochness, looked around that the lochness toursty spot there, then up to Inverness i think??? stayed in a nice B & B, then drove back down the otherside back down to edinburgh, visited some great little villages, had some scones and tea in one of them, a great experience!
    Have also played golf at Gleneagles a few times and playing that course with the scenery is something i wont forgot, id love to go back again one day.... during the warmer months Smile
    JAS

Post by JAS Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:07 pm

I'm rubbish at photography so I thought this page on the BBC website might be useful.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7767236.stm

It's a weekly collection of photo's sent in by people from around Scotland and, although there's no guarantee that they were taken around the time they were published on there, it might give some who plan visiting an idea of what can be seen at different times of year.

There are only about 12 to 15 photo's for each week so just pick a set of dates and scroll through...some stunning shots so I think it's worth it Very Happy

Regards
    JAS

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:59 am