www.travelbountyforum.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Free forum to discuss anything and everything about your travels, hotels, airlines, tips, latest travel deals, sports tours or group tours. If you have a passion and enjoy talking about your travels, please share!

*THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER IN USE - NEW WEBSITE AT www.travelbounty.com*

*THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER IN USE - NEW WEBSITE AT www.travelbounty.com*

3 posters

Things to see in Florence, Italy

JAS

Things to see in Florence, Italy Empty Things to see in Florence, Italy

Post by JAS Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:01 pm

Went with my mate to Florence for a break a couple of years ago and I thought this little gem might be of interest. It wasn't in our guidebook and we stummbled on it by chance.

It's called the Leonardo Da Vinci Museum Activities and unlike most museums they have built, in wood, working models of most of his inventions and you can play with them...turn handles, pull levers etc. Brilliant fun for all ages but especially if you have kids who are sick to death of churches Wink

Unfortunately their website is all in Italian...

http://www.mostredileonardo.com/site.asp?idSito=1&idLingua=2&idPagina=3

...but I did bring back a bilingual leaflet and have now got around to scanning it so here's a link to it on my webshots page...it is readable if you magnify the image...

Things to see in Florence, Italy 2358319920103437384ZHlpDB_th

Things to see in Florence, Italy 2937038770103437384ZWmAlf_th

Regards
    JAS
    JAS

Things to see in Florence, Italy Empty Re: Things to see in Florence, Italy

Post by JAS Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:31 pm

One for the carnivores out there...if you need a serious meat fix then the La Spada is the place for you. I treated my mate to a birthday meal there and it was fab. We had the Arrosto Misto (mixed roast meats)and barely made a dent in the platter Shocked

We went in October and there was a good mix of locals and tourists...I'd say 60% locals and 40% tourists.

Dare one of you to try the Florentine Steak...it's only 1kg Laughing Wink

Website is in English and contains a menu with prices and some good photo's...

http://www.laspadaitalia.com/en/index.php

Regards
    JAS
    beaglex

Post by beaglex Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:11 pm

Thanks JAS, Looks like a top restaurant to visit, enjoyed looking at the website.

Hopefully one day my wife and I can get over to Florence and visit La Spada.

Cheers

Beaglex
    JAS

Post by JAS Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Hope you do make it over there beaglex.

Should add that as well as a mix of nationalities (we had a table next to a lovely Canadian couple) there was also a big mix of ages too. Some tables were families...at least 3 generations and kids of all ages...others were 40 somethings like my mate and I and others were 20 somethings. Very lively place but not in an annoying way and didn't feel you had to whisper all the time.

Although the place was packed and it's not huge to start with the waiters never once made us feel like they wanted rid of us so they could get the next tableful seated and those queueing up for their tables didn't make a fuss and seemed happy to wait a bit.

Language wasn't a problem either...our Italian and their English was exhausted fairly quickly but we just resorted to politely pointing at the menu with a touch of charades...works every time without causing offence Very Happy

Only downside was having eyes far, far bigger than my stomach...from what I remember my mixed meats were chicken, beef, pork, lamb, rabbit, wild boar, venison Embarassed

Regards
    JAS
    bart

Post by bart Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:06 am

wish i knew about this place when i went to Florence.... its always good to hear of restaurants that the locals go to and hidden....

when i went to italy i was totally the opposite to you JAS, i found the food not too entertaining, maybe i just went to the touristy restaurants.

great idea about the activity museum, i must say i was getting bored of seeing churches/cathedral after one an another, never knew about this place.
    JAS

Post by JAS Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:31 am

That's a shame bart but a good excuse to go there again I reckon Wink

I know what you mean about the restaurants being very touristy and I do have to confess that I found that one online and booked it before we went. Because the meal was a birthday present (her hubby was overseas so she needed some cheering up) I wanted to find somewhere a little different so I spent a few evenings searching for the district (within walking distance of the hotel) and restauants. Then trawled through the results til I found that one...I'd done the same for a trip to Prague a few years before.

I always like to try and 'go native' when travelling and avoid very touristy places and the all too common KFC's etc like the plague so it's a bit of extra effort but well worth it imho. Another idea is to get chatting to shop staff when you're there and ask them for suggested cafes and restaurants...can be better than asking at the hotel as they often have an arrangement with one particular place or even own it....if all else fails just wait til mealtimes and stalk the locals to see where they go Laughing

Regards
    JAS

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:19 am