A Free forum to discuss anything and everything about your travels, hotels, airlines, tips, latest travel deals, sports tours or group tours. If you have a passion and enjoy talking about your travels, please share!

*THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER IN USE - NEW WEBSITE AT www.travelbounty.com*

*THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER IN USE - NEW WEBSITE AT www.travelbounty.com*

Driving around England

bart

Driving around England

Post by bart on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:12 am

Has anyone done the drive around England, all the way up to Scotland etc?? how long does would it take?

redandblack

Re: Driving around England

Post by redandblack on Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:24 am

I've driven a fair bit around the UK, but not for a while now.

I think the north of England and particularly Scotland is possibly the best part. The further up Scotland, the nicer the drive. In England, you can decide whether to drive on Motorways if you want to make time, or minor roads. Naturally, the minor roads are quite slow at times, but essential to see the country.

As for how long it takes, you'd need to decide what you want to see first, then plan it. I'd really recommend the south and west country of England, the Lake District, York, Chester, but particularly Scotland,including the Isle of Skye and the fishing towns of the North-West.

bart

Post by bart on Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:04 am

redandblack wrote:I've driven a fair bit around the UK, but not for a while now.

I think the north of England and particularly Scotland is possibly the best part. The further up Scotland, the nicer the drive. In England, you can decide whether to drive on Motorways if you want to make time, or minor roads. Naturally, the minor roads are quite slow at times, but essential to see the country.

As for how long it takes, you'd need to decide what you want to see first, then plan it. I'd really recommend the south and west country of England, the Lake District, York, Chester, but particularly Scotland,including the Isle of Skye and the fishing towns of the North-West.
    Thanks for this, yes i heard the Scotland is beautiful. The countryside is awesome especially if the mountains have snow on them, but dont know about going during winter, it would be freezing up that part of the country?
    Also heard the Lake District is fantasic and a must see, you been there? is there a big Lake there or near the beach?
    Id also like to go over to Ireland, take the ferry from UK.

redandblack

Post by redandblack on Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:21 pm

Yes, I've been a couple of times to the Lake District. Although it's not that far from the sea, it's really a separate attraction, made up of several very scenic lakes, with some lovely towns and lots of great walks.

You can take the ferry to Ireland easily, although flying would be easier, but I think the main ferry goes from the north of Wales(?). Ireland is an easy place to drive around, lots of lovely places and the B & B's are usually a very high and modern standard.

Voyageur

Post by Voyageur on Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:26 am

Bart if you are going in winter you may find visibility an issue in scotland and the Lake District. My advice is to not try and do too much on any one trip, unless you have unlimited time. The road system is good but remember there are 61 million people on that little island and that can mean very congested roads.
    If you are going in winter and it is your forst time, I would advise doing the well-known sights, i.e. London, Oxford, Cambridge, Oxford,Canterbury, Bath. While at Oxford also visit Stratforns upon Avon and the beautiful villages of the Cotswolds. How long are you going for?

bart

Post by bart on Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:13 am

looking at going for 4 weeks, around August, September next year or later in the year, depends on when cheap airfares are.

Think you right, i need see the well known places like Oxford, etc, really want to see the little english villages.

Where is Cotswolds, whats there?

JAS

Post by JAS on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:54 pm

bart wrote:looking at going for 4 weeks, around August, September next year or later in the year, depends on when cheap airfares are.

Think you right, i need see the well known places like Oxford, etc, really want to see the little english villages.

Where is Cotswolds, whats there?

The Cotswolds are beautiful with some gorgeous villages. This is their official tourism website and should be a good starting point for info.

http://www.cotswolds.com/

They're within fairly easy reach of Oxford...the only real downside is that at almost any time of year you're going to have to share them with quite a few other visitors.

English villages vary tremendously from region to region. The Cotswolds houses are a lovely honey limestone whereas in my original home turf in Suffolk I'd recommend Lavenham for it's medieval timbered buildings. I think it's Kent that's famous for it's 'chocolate box' thatched cottages, Yorkshire has some lovely villages of stone builings as seen on 'Last of the Summer Wine' (you must get that in Oz Wink it's a real place called Holmfirth btw)...the list is almost endless every region has it's own style.

Also bear in mind that it's not just the accents and architecture that change with each county...they all have their own regional dishes too. Of course you will find loads of KFC's and Burger King's (that's HJ's to you) but do try to make the food part of the trip as well.

Regards
    JAS

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:29 pm